Monday, August 20, 2007

Hair Today, Gone...Already?

A disclaimer:

I know I'm not all that important.

And that writing about my hair-brained schemes can be considered a luxury among those who have none (for reasons too serious to trivialize herewith).

And that our country is in a mess far more distressing than my distressed curls.

And that many readers may find this excessive interrogation of self...excessive.

And that I do, too!

But I do believe that there are many of us women (and men) out there who are enlightened enough to realize that beauty is relative, fleeting, even boring -- and that American standards of beauty are often as undesirable as they are unreachable --yet are drawn to the judgment of the mirror, mirror on the wall.

If I had but world enough and time, and more academic badges of honor, I'd wax (gel?) poetic about beauty myths, bra-burning, and Body Dysmorphic Disorder...and comb through the various complexities and paradoxes.

But!

I'm just a blogger.

Are you still with me?

No comments: